Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Technology...

Generally I love technology, and for the most part, I have a pretty good grasp on things, but when I got my brother's laptop after he died, for the first couple months we really just used it as a glorified portable dvd player.

A couple weeks ago I decided the time had come to start using this to it's full potential...especially since my desktop computer is pretty much totally full and very slow and it's gonna be at least another week or two until I get my new desktop set up, and well, I must admit that I've come to like laying on the couch and surfing the web! lol

One of my goals this year was to be a better and more consistent blogger, so one of the things I've been doing while surfing the web is reading lots of blogs, and trying to see what I think makes up a good blog and I've come to the conclusion that it's pictures.

So today I decided to try to figure out how to hook my camera up to my laptop. Easier said than done. First of all we have about 10 USB cords...a few were easy to immediately rule out, and then I finally found a cord that fit. I installed the disk for my camera (amazed that I could even find the disk), plugged in the camera and ........................................NOTHING!!!

My dreams of filling my blog with little peeks into our daily lives were crashed it seemed and I dreaded going back to the old way of doing things, which involved...taking the memory card outta the camera, putting it into the printer, downloading the pictures from the printer to the desktop, copying the pics from the desktop to a portable USB thingie, then uploading the pics from the USB thingie to the laptop, etc. etc...big pain in the patootie.

There was a slight glimmer of hope when a friend stopped by and he is much more technologically advanced then me, and he thought he could get it to work, but alas, no such luck, so finally I just told him to take the cord and see if he could find me another one, since I was convinced it was the cord since it hadn't worked in my desktop either.

Then I had a brainwave and thought I would use Mercedes camera, at least for now so I could put some pics up on my blog. So I pulled out the 10+ USB cords again and not one of them would fit! UGHHHHHHHH! So I start digging through my camera case thinking that maybe I put her cord in my case so that we would know where it was, and sure enough at the very bottom of my case was a cord. I tried it in her camera and it fit, but when I tried it in the computer.......NOTHING!!!

But then it dawned on me...this cord was the same size as my cord, so maybe I was trying her cord in my camera and my cord in her camera, and guess what....I WAS!!!

The cord does seem to have a little short of something in it cause I have to hold it a certain way, but as long as I do that it works and I can very easily take a pic and have it on my laptop in seconds!! So prepare yourself to see some glimpses into our daily lives.

I didn't take hardly any pictures last year, so I'm hoping that this will help me to take more pics, which in turn will help me do more scrapbooking. And just because I made such a big deal about pics...here's one for tonight...just Mercedes doing a pose so we'd have some pics to play around with. :)

1 comment:

Hopes Handcrafts said...

Gotta love technology...when it works! Love that pic of M...she is very pretty!